St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Fort Worth, TX
The oldest continuously used church building in Fort Worth lies in the heart of the city’s business district.
St. Patrick’s Cathedral is the Catholic Cathedral of Fort Worth and the seat of the bishop of the Diocese of Fort Worth.
Building of the Gothic Revival structure, using native limestone, began in 1888 under the pastoral leadership of Father Jean Marie Guyot. Designed by Fort Worth architect James J. Kane, the twin towers at the front of the building were intended to be the base of spires, which were never built. By vote of the congregation, the church was named St. Patrick’s and was dedicated in 1892. Kane’s funeral was held in the church upon his death in 1901. Father Guyot died in 1907; his body is interred in the basement crypt of the church.
The church was recorded as a Texas Historic Landmark in 1962, and in 1985 was enrolled in the National Register of Historic Places.
Nearby St. Ignatius Academy, built by the Belgian Sisters of St. Mary of Namur in 1885 as a boarding school for young ladies, was bought by the parish in 1956. Today, the Cathedral consists of three buildings: the Academy, the rectory and the church.
Find more on the history of Fort Worth, TX.