Alaska: What you need to know
The nation’s largest state by area, Alaska’s economy is rooted in oil, gas, fishing and tourism. In addition, there is no sales tax, which is great for shoppers and celebrated by people living in Alaska. The best places to live in Alaska include the city of Anchorage along with scenic Fairbanks and the state capital of Juneau. Alaska has 50 beautiful parks and popular annual events like the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race and the World Ice Art Championships.
- An almost untouched wilderness, Alaska offers those willing to brave harsh winters a truly unique lifestyle.
- Anchorage, Juneau, Fairbanks are among many top choices
- America's final frontier doesn't only yield exceptional living, but also affordability
- Glaciers, vintage autos, train excursions are among the highlights
- From entertaining license plates to "Blockbuster and chill," these habits and traditions set Alaskans apart.
- Our family left behind everything we knew to come to Alaska — here's why it was the best decision we ever made.
- From embracing the cold to making time for silliness (outhouse races, anyone?), here's how to make the most of winter, Alaska-style.
Read More About Alaska
- These 10 state fairs take the (funnel) cake for most fun.
- Key companies include Providence, Carr-Safeway, Alaska Airlines, and more.
- Our lovely infographic breaks it all down, including some hidden taxes you may not be aware of.
- Discover amazing adventures and culture in Anchorage
- Learn more about major employers in the area
- Anchorage is home to two top universities and one college
Featured Cities in Alaska
Find a City in AlaskaSearch for any city in Alaska to find your best place to live..
Quick Facts about AK
|Latest Population Increase||0.68%|
|Median Household Income||$72,515|
|Median Home Price||$250,000|
|Median Property Tax||$1,827|
Employment Rate in AK
Race in AK
Employment Rate in AK
Educational Levels in AK
|Graduate or Professional Degree||10.1%|
|High School Graduate||19%|
|Some College, No Degree||21%|
|Percent Bachelor's Degree or Higher||28%|
|Percent High School Graduate or Higher||92.1%|
Industry in AK
|Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting and Mining||5.6%|
|Transportation and Warehousing, and Utilities||7.7%|
|Finance and Insurance, and Real Estate and Rental and Leasing||4.1%|
|Professional, Scientific and Management and Administrative and Waste||8.5%|
|Educational Services and Health Care and Social Assistance||23.3%|
|Arts, Entertainment and recreation and Accommodation and food Services||9%|
|Other Services, Except Public Administration||4.4%|
Housing in AK
Best places to Live in Alaska
|Title||Population||Median Home Price||Median Household Income|