Kentucky Communities Gain National Notice
From big cities to small towns, Kentucky offers abundant lifestyle choices. Its high-quality communities are gaining national recognition.
From big cities to small towns, Kentucky offers abundant lifestyle choices. Its high-quality communities are gaining national recognition. Here are just a few examples:
Kentucky Community Rankings 2012
- CNNmoney.com 25 Best Places to Retire 2012: Louisville and Danville were included on the list of communities. The ranking noted Louisville's miles of greenway and recreational attractions, such as the Kentucky Derby. Danville's historic district's microbreweries, restaurants, art galleries and boutiques blends the best of past and present.
- U.S. News & World Report Best Places to Retire for Under $40,000 2012: Louisville's affordability, particularly in housing costs, was cited.
- Bloomberg BusinessWeek: Lexington/Fayette ranks 25th on the list of America's 50 Best Cities. "The thoroughbred city has great schools, sprawling parks and a high percentage of college-educated residents," the ranking says.
- America’s Promise Alliance’s 100 Best Communities for Young People: The award recognized Mt. Sterling/Montgomery County for its innovative work in addressing the high school dropout crisis and programs such as service opportunities and access to extracurricular activities that make it an outstanding place for youth to live, learn and grow. Mt. Sterling/Montgomery County is a four-time 100 Best winner.
- Budget Travel: Named Augusta one of the nation's11 Greatest Riverfront Towns.
- USA Today & Rand McNally Best of the Road: Kentucky communities were winners in two of the five small-town awards categories: Most Beautiful: Bardstown (Danville was a runner-up) Friendliest: Murray.
- Livability.com Top 10 Small Towns: The ranking named Danville one of the nation's best small towns, noting its "charming neighborhoods and residents who take great pride in their city."
- National Fourth Economy Index: Warren County ranked eighth on the Community Index’s list of Top 10 Small-Sized Counties for 2012.