Tennessee: What you need to know
From the Great Smoky Mountains to the Mississippi River, Tennessee stands out as a center of culture, entertainment, natural beauty and innovation. The Volunteer State's musical heritage stretches from Beale Street in Memphis to the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville and made it a natural location for companies such as fabled instrument maker Gibson. These sites and sounds are only a few of the reasons millions of people also choose Tennessee as a vacation destination.
Eight Fortune 500 companies are based in Tennessee, including global logistics giant FedEx. Nashville is a hub of health care, home to more than 300 health-related companies. Tennessee is in the heart of the Southeast's Automotive Alley, where more than 900 automotive manufacturing operations are based, including major assembly operations for Nissan and General Motors. When touting why people should relocate to Tennessee, state officials (and senior citizens, professional athletes and your average affluent individual) often cite this reason first: no personal income tax. Relocating businesses are drawn by this one: the state budget operates with a surplus instead of a deficit.
The University of Tennessee, with its flagship campus in Knoxville, anchors the state's vast higher education system, which includes Tennessee Technological University and its highly regarded engineering program. Vanderbilt University in Nashville one of the nation's top research universities.
- A look at the top 10 most livable cities in the Volunteer State.
- Good schools, a thriving job market and plenty of recreational opportunities are just a few reasons to call Tennessee home.
- Chattanooga's entrepreneurial ecosystem and 10-gig broadband have made the city a startup magnet.
- The Volunteer State's array of outdoor amenities and attractions adds to its appeal
- Tennessee's appeal for entrepreneurial talent makes it an innovation destination
- Or, how you get the most bang for your Tennessee buck
Read More About Tennessee
- Want an unforgettable outdoor experience without the hassle, cost and crowds? Check out these fantastic state parks.
- Is Hawkins, Indiana a real place? It might be more real than you think.
- Communities across Tennessee invest in Main Street makeovers
- Tennessee taps its roots to create a thriving and diverse music scene
- The University of Tennessee System touches business in every part of the state
- Tennessee communities invest in development of young professionals.
- Tennessee sets the pace for job creation, business investment
- New craft breweries and distilleries are adding to the state’s food-and-drink roster.
- Looking to add some drama to your Valentine's Day plans? The Tennessee Central Railway's murder mystery ride is just the ticket.
Featured Cities in Tennessee
Find a City in TennesseeSearch for any city in Tennessee to find your best place to live..
Quick Facts about TN
|Latest Population Increase||0.00%|
|Median Household Income||$45,219|
|Median Home Price||$142,100|
|Median Property Tax||$1,181|
Employment Rate in TN
Race in TN
Employment Rate in TN
Educational Levels in TN
|Graduate or Professional Degree||9%|
|High School Graduate||33%|
|Some College, No Degree||21%|
|Percent Bachelor's Degree or Higher||24.9%|
|Percent High School Graduate or Higher||85.5%|
Industry in TN
|Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting and Mining||1%|
|Transportation and Warehousing, and Utilities||6.3%|
|Finance and Insurance, and Real Estate and Rental and Leasing||5.7%|
|Professional, Scientific and Management and Administrative and Waste||9.4%|
|Educational Services and Health Care and Social Assistance||22.8%|
|Arts, Entertainment and recreation and Accommodation and food Services||9.3%|
|Other Services, Except Public Administration||4.9%|
Housing in TN
Data Sources : U.S. Census Bureau, 2010 Census, 2011-2015 American Community Survey, 2010 Census Gazetteer, GreatSchools, WalkScore, Bureau of Labor and Statistics, County Health Rankings & Roadmaps, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service, Veterans Administration (VA), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Best places to Live in Tennessee
|Title||Population||Median Home Price||Median Household Income|