Goodman-LeGrand Home and Museum in Tyler, TX
Learn about Tyler, TX's Civil War past at the Goodman-LeGrand Home and Museum.
The first property ever to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Tyler, TX was the Goodman-LeGrand Home. Now home to the Goodman Museum, the home is located on North Broadway Avenue.
The museum is open for public tours, with many of the Goodman family’s antique furnishings on display. Individual guests are welcome for walk-in tours, and photography sessions, group tours and special functions can be scheduled in advance.
The home was originally constructed as a one-story, four-room house, built by Samuel Smith in 1859. It is named for the family of its third owner, Dr. W.J. Goodman. The family lived in the home for more than 70 years. The residence underwent several additions and renovations to give it a Classical Revival look by the 1920s, and the mansion has remained largely unchanged since. Much of what is known about the home was discovered in a diary kept by Dr. Goodman’s daughter, Sallie. Information about Civil War society and politics recorded in the diary help bring to life the history of this important home.
The home and museum are open Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Learn more about the culture in Tyler, TX.