Alexandria’s Christ Church has been standing since before the Revolutionary War.
The colonial Georgian style church was designed by John Wren and completed in 1773 by John Carlyle. The Episcopal Church played an important role in colonial life, and George Washington and his family were some of the first members worshiping at Christ’s Church.
Throughout the centuries, historical figures found sanctuary at Christ’s Church including Robert. E. Lee and President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Even Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill made sure to stop by with pal FDR in 1941.
Today, the landmark is still an operating parish with 2,400 members in Alexandria and mission programs located in Honduras, Sudan and other countries. The brick church is an aesthetic and historic touch to the Old Town area that attracts visitors and allows them to worship or simply see the Washington family pew or where Robert E. Lee knelt.
Learn more about other attractions in Alexandria, VA.