Learn about Tennessee's vast infrastructure that makes it one of the top transportation industries.
TN Highway Facts
Access to 8 primary and 7 auxiliary interstates
1,104: Interstate miles
95,523: Highway miles
19,985: Bridges (No. 1 in the Southeast and No. 10 nation)
455: Miles of I-40 within Tennessee borders, more than any other state
6: Interstate legs that cross in Nashville, one of only four U.S. cities where six interstate legs (I-65 North and South, I-40 East and West, and I-24 East and West) converge within a city’s boundaries
TN Waterway Facts
1,046: Miles of navigable waterways in the state
950: Miles of inland waterways, 11th most among states
165: Miles of Tennessee that border the Mississippi River. Of the nation’s inland and navigable waterways, an estimated 75 percent are within the Mississippi River system, making it the busiest water transportation artery in the country.
34.4 million: Tons of cargo (mostly coal, aggregates and grains)
25.7 million: Tons of cargo received by barge at Tennessee docks from 16 other states
The Memphis Megasite
- Location: Haywood and Fayette counties, 20 minutes east of suburban Memphis and 35 minutes west of jackson
- Certified by McCallum Sweeney Consulting through the Tennessee Valley Authority’s (TVA) Megasite Certification program.
- At 4,100 acres, it is the last remaining TVA Megasite in Tennessee.
- The 4,100-acre site is backed by a $106 million infrastructure investment
- Only 45 minutes from the Memphis International Airport and the FedEx World Hub.
- CSX Rail, adjacent to site, connects the the megasite to four Class I rail systems in the region.