Discover New Mexico
It isn't called the 'Enchanted Region' for no reason!
New Mexico offers a highly skilled and educated workforce, world-class research assets, unparalleled natural beauty and a rich and diverse cultural experience.
In This Article
Clear as Glass
An Albuquerque company is making a name for itself manufacturing glass-based, three-dimensional devices used in high-speed communications and data transfer technologies. 3D Glass Solutions (3DGS) is an RF passive device design and manufacturing company that develops novel, high-frequency 3D components. 3DGS’ patented technology spans the GHz spectrum and allows high-performance RF communication needed for commercial consumer and complex avionics as well as space and security systems operating at high frequencies.
The company, which secured an investment from aerospace and global security leader Lockheed Martin in 2019, operates from a state-of-the-art, 20,000-square-foot manufacturing facility.
Kicking and Screaming
New Mexico put its best foot forward with a professional soccer franchise.
New Mexico United, founded in 2018 and based in Albuquerque, plays its home games at Isotopes Park. The squad competes in the 35-team USL Championship, which is the second division of U.S. soccer.
Its season runs from mid-March through mid-September.
In its inaugural season, the team boasted the highest average attendance among other USL teams.
All in Good Tastiness
An Irish company has found a lasting partnership with a dairy cooperative in New Mexico.
Southwest Cheese Company was formed in 2006 in a joint venture between Irish-based Glanbia PLC and dairy cooperatives of the Greater Southwest Agency, including Dairy Farmers of America and Select Milk Producers.
From its lone U.S. plant in Clovis, Southwest Cheese has 300 employees who annually process nearly 4 billion gallons of milk and produce about 375 million pounds of block cheese for a variety of name brands.
The Clovis facility is one of the largest natural cheese plants in the U.S., making high-quality American, cheddar, Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, Asadero, queso quesadilla and pepper jack cheeses. The company also manufactures about 30 million pounds of whey protein powders each year.
Some of the world’s most complex problems are being addressed through the work of a company in Santa Fe.
Established in 2014 by a team of scientists from Los Alamos National Laboratory, Descartes Labs is a predictive intelligence company that has designed a data-agnostic platform for performing global-scale analyses.
The company, which has raised more than $58 million in venture funding, is the first company founded to create a geospatial data refinery to fuel predictive models. It combines a scalable geospatial data processing and modeling platform with a massive, diverse geospatial library.
The company’s scientists are recognized leaders in the field who create competitive advantages through scientifically validated analytics. They are instrumental in helping governments, organizations around the world and industries that include agriculture, mining and metals, oil and gas, shipping and logistics, power and renewables, and insurance.
More Face Time
Facebook is investing more than $1 billion to add five additional buildings to its Los Lunas Data Center Campus, with construction expected to last well into 2023.
The social media giant opened its first building in Los Lunas in 2019, and the expansion will bring the data center campus size to 2.8 million square feet.
Once completed, the Los Lunas Facebook workforce is expected to top 150 employees. The entire campus will be 100% powered by renewable energy.
The Facebook campus is expected to have a $2 billion annual impact on the state’s economy.
The 4-1-1 On New Mexico
- Did You Know? Advancements and discoveries are taking place in New Mexico, thanks to the work taking place in its two Department of Energy national labs, Sandia National Laboratories and Los Alamos National Laboratory, research facilities, such as the White Sands Missile Range, and major corporations, such as Intel.
- A Dollar Goes Further: New Mexico boasts affordability, with overall costs below the national average and housing prices at just 77.8% of the U.S. average.
- Lights, Camera, New Mexico: New Mexico is a hub for the convergence of creative and technical talent that has helped make it a center for film and television production. With the likes of Netflix and NBCUniversal making major investments in production facilities, the state estimates the film and television industry generated more than $525 million in direct spending in fiscal year 2019.
- Diverse & Welcoming: New Mexico thrives on diversity, offering a multicultural experience, and it is one of just four states with a majority-minority population.
- Research Powerhouse: The state hosts two Department of Energy laboratories, Sandia National Laboratories and Los Alamos National Laboratory, as well as other research facilities, such as the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) at Kirtland Air Force Base and the White Sands Missile Range, that give it powerhouse research capabilities.
- Explore the Outdoors: New Mexico boasts five national forests, 15 national parks and monuments, 34 state parks and 26 wilderness areas.
- Career Destination: New Mexico offers a highly diverse economy with technology-driven industry sectors in advanced manufacturing, aerospace, agribusiness, energy and natural resources, and information technology. The state added more than 31,000 jobs to its civilian labor force in the last 18 months alone.
- On the Move: An integrated infrastructure includes a network of highways and three interstates that crisscross the state and Class I rail service from Burlington Northern Santa Fe and Union Pacific. Santa Teresa, located in the binational Borderplex region, is home to Union Pacific’s $500 million intermodal facility, one of the carrier’s largest operations in the U.S.