Kansas : What you need to know
Located right in the geographic center of the United States, Kansas is known as “America’s Breadbasket,” producing one-fifth of all wheat grown in the nation. Besides agriculture, major industries include energy and aerospace, and three top universities are Kansas, Kansas State and Wichita State. The state’s terrain consists of forests, mountain ranges and prairies. The best places to live in Kansas include Wichita, Overland Park, Manhattan, Lawrence, Topeka and Kansas City.
Read More About Kansas
- Cheese curds, lakes, beer, quality education, four seasons: There's a lot to love about being in the Midwest.
- From Germany to Switzerland to Spain, here's where to go for a European getaway — no passport required.
- Lawrence offers lots of fun for the whole family
- Government, health, retail, manufacturing are major sectors
- Technical colleges are training students for the hottest careers in the region, including oil-and-gas and agriculture.
- Fort Hays State University teaches business classes to Chinese students attending college in China.
- Western Kansas supports a strong health-care industry, and providers are investing in leading technology and equipment.
- Entrepreneurs in Western Kansas started such thriving businesses as RANS Designs in Hays, Heartland Mills in Wichita County, Odor-Z-Way in Phillipsburg and Dessin Fournier in Plainville.
- Agriculture is an anchor of the western Kansas economy.
Featured Cities in Kansas
Find a City in KansasSearch for any city in Kansas to find your best place to live..
Quick Facts about KS
|Latest Population Increase||0.00%|
|Median Household Income||$52,205|
|Median Home Price||$132,000|
|Median Property Tax||$1,282|
Employment Rate in KS
Race in KS
Employment Rate in KS
Educational Levels in KS
|Graduate or Professional Degree||11%|
|High School Graduate||27%|
|Some College, No Degree||24.2%|
|Percent Bachelor's Degree or Higher||31%|
|Percent High School Graduate or Higher||90.2%|
Industry in KS
|Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting and Mining||3.5%|
|Transportation and Warehousing, and Utilities||4.7%|
|Finance and Insurance, and Real Estate and Rental and Leasing||6.1%|
|Professional, Scientific and Management and Administrative and Waste||8.9%|
|Educational Services and Health Care and Social Assistance||24.7%|
|Arts, Entertainment and recreation and Accommodation and food Services||7.9%|
|Other Services, Except Public Administration||4.6%|
Housing in KS
Data Sources : U.S. Census Bureau, 2010 Census, 2011-2015 American Community Survey, 2010 Census Gazetteer, GreatSchools, WalkScore, Bureau of Labor and Statistics, County Health Rankings & Roadmaps, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service, Veterans Administration (VA), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Best places to Live in Kansas
|Title||Population||Median Home Price||Median Household Income|