Virginia: What you need to know
Agriculture has always been a key contributor to the Virginia economy, and today 33 percent of the land remains devoted to farming. Other key industries in Virginia are the military, government services and technology, with Virginia having the highest concentration of technology workers of any state. Best places to live in Virginia include Arlington, Alexandria, Abingdon, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake and Norfolk. More than 175 colleges and universities are in the Commonwealth.
- In the past decade, Virginia oysters have made an amazing (and delicious) comeback — here's where to go to get a taste.
- With wide open spaces and big city living, the Commonwealth offers plenty of reasons to make a move.
- Alexandria, Charlottesville, Newport News, Danville, Fredericksburg are among top choices
- UVA, two major shipbuilders make the list
- Modest housing costs in Virginia’s biggest and best cities make the Commonwealth especially attractive to prospective residents
- The Pentagon, Monticello, Downtown Mall are among must-sees
- The Virginia Creeper Trail in Abingdon, VA offers 35 miles of rail trail for hiking, mountain biking and horseback riding.
Read More About Virginia
- This Virginia town gets a spot on our Top 100 Best Places to live – here's why.
- Swing on by these Instagram accounts next time you're surfing the Internet for some of the best views America has to offer.
- Get a look at the best companies in Abingdon, VA.
- Emory & Henry plays starring role in thriving arts scene.
- Industries include higher education, government and tourism.
- Have a look at our comprehensive list of the Washington D.C. metro area's largest employers.
- Top employers in Richmond, VA, include both public and private companies.
- Employers in Bedford range from a variety of businesses including manufacturing, distribution and health care providing Bedford with a diverse workforce.
- In Martinsville, VA, more than 800,000 highly skilled and trained workers are employed within a 50-mile radius. Competitive incentive packages, reasonable tax rates and a healthy, growing existing industry base make for a warm business climate.
Featured Cities in Virginia
Find a City in VirginiaSearch for any city in Virginia to find your best place to live..
Quick Facts about VA
|Latest Population Increase||0.00%|
|Median Household Income||$65,015|
|Median Home Price||$245,000|
|Median Property Tax||$1,711|
Employment Rate in VA
Race in VA
Employment Rate in VA
Educational Levels in VA
|Graduate or Professional Degree||15.4%|
|High School Graduate||24.8%|
|Some College, No Degree||19.9%|
|Percent Bachelor's Degree or Higher||36.3%|
|Percent High School Graduate or Higher||88.3%|
Industry in VA
|Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting and Mining||1%|
|Transportation and Warehousing, and Utilities||4.2%|
|Finance and Insurance, and Real Estate and Rental and Leasing||6.3%|
|Professional, Scientific and Management and Administrative and Waste||14.7%|
|Educational Services and Health Care and Social Assistance||21.8%|
|Arts, Entertainment and recreation and Accommodation and food Services||8.9%|
|Other Services, Except Public Administration||5.3%|
Housing in VA
Best places to Live in Virginia
|Title||Population||Median Home Price||Median Household Income|