Wisconsin: What you need to know
Wisconsin is America’s Dairyland and the birthplace of classic beers such as Pabst Blue Ribbon, Miller, and Schlitz, and it’s also home to some of the best places to live in America, including two of our 2017 Top 100 Best Places to Live: Madison and La Crosse. With the rivers and lakes scattered throughout the state and vast woodlands, Wisconsin draws outdoor enthusiasts from all over the country no matter the season – ever been ice fishing?
The metropolitan areas of Madison and Milwaukee boast top art and entertainment choices. The Milwaukee Museum of Art hosts work from renowned artists like Georgia O’Keefe and Andy Warhol, and the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art houses the best up-and-coming artists. Music festivals, such as Summerfest and Eaux Claires bring local and international musicians together across the state.
A well-regarded education system is led by the University of Wisconsin and its 26 campuses. Kenosha, Eau Claire, Green Bay and Racine offer residents affordable housing, quality education and employment opportunities, as well as plenty of recreational options.
The Dairyland’s economy is run by more than cheese curds, with industry sectors in agriculture, manufacturing and information technology. The state is also home to 8 Fortune 500 companies, including Harley-Davidson, Oshkosh, Kohl’s, Northwestern Mutual and Johnson Controls. Wisconsin is also ranked no. 2 for fostering entrepreneurial growth.
- Milwaukee harnessed technology, innovation and a prime lakeside location to become a world leader in the $483 billion water industry. Here's how.
- From organic farms to world-class restaurants, here's how the tiny town of Viroqua became a foodie hotspot.
- Picturesque communities include Madison, La Crosse, Eau Claire
- Communities take action to protect birds, preserve habitat
Read More About Wisconsin
- Want an unforgettable outdoor experience without the hassle, cost and crowds? Check out these fantastic state parks.
- Move over, Tennessee and Kentucky. These states are producing some of the most exciting whiskey in the country right now.
- From cheese hats to "cheese orphans" to gourmet gas station cheddar, here's how to experience Wisconsin's epic cheese scene like a hungry local.
- These 10 state fairs take the (funnel) cake for most fun.
- These 10 cities have an excess of amazing jobs and not enough people to fill them. In other words? They're waiting for YOU.
- College towns aren't just for students — they're perfect places for retirees. Here's why.
- Need to make some cheddar? Wisconsin should be your next move
- Learn how the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s research and development efforts help create jobs and economic investments throughout the region.
- In La Crosse, you don't have to go very far to enjoy Mother Nature. Just look outside your window and take it all in.
Featured Cities in Wisconsin
Find a City in WisconsinSearch for any city in Wisconsin to find your best place to live..
Quick Facts about WI
|Latest Population Increase||0.00%|
|Median Household Income||$53,357|
|Median Home Price||$165,800|
|Median Property Tax||$1,402|
Employment Rate in WI
Race in WI
Employment Rate in WI
Educational Levels in WI
|Graduate or Professional Degree||9.4%|
|High School Graduate||32%|
|Some College, No Degree||21.1%|
|Percent Bachelor's Degree or Higher||27.8%|
|Percent High School Graduate or Higher||91%|
Industry in WI
|Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting and Mining||2.5%|
|Transportation and Warehousing, and Utilities||4.3%|
|Finance and Insurance, and Real Estate and Rental and Leasing||6.1%|
|Professional, Scientific and Management and Administrative and Waste||8.1%|
|Educational Services and Health Care and Social Assistance||23.3%|
|Arts, Entertainment and recreation and Accommodation and food Services||8.7%|
|Other Services, Except Public Administration||4.2%|
Housing in WI
Data Sources : U.S. Census Bureau, 2010 Census, 2011-2015 American Community Survey, 2010 Census Gazetteer, GreatSchools, WalkScore, Bureau of Labor and Statistics, County Health Rankings & Roadmaps, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service, Veterans Administration (VA), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Best places to Live in Wisconsin
|Title||Population||Median Home Price||Median Household Income|
|Fond du Lac||43,060||$121,700||$46,499|