Wisconsin : What you need to know
Wisconsin is America’s Dairyland and the birthplace of classic beers such as Pabst Blue Ribbon, Miller, and Schlitz, and it’s also home to some of the best places to live in America, including two of our 2017 Top 100 Best Places to Live: Madison and La Crosse. With the rivers and lakes scattered throughout the state and vast woodlands, Wisconsin draws outdoor enthusiasts from all over the country no matter the season – ever been ice fishing?
The metropolitan areas of Madison and Milwaukee boast top art and entertainment choices. The Milwaukee Museum of Art hosts work from renowned artists like Georgia O’Keefe and Andy Warhol, and the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art houses the best up-and-coming artists. Music festivals, such as Summerfest and Eaux Claires bring local and international musicians together across the state.
A well-regarded education system is led by the University of Wisconsin and its 26 campuses. Kenosha, Eau Claire, Green Bay and Racine offer residents affordable housing, quality education and employment opportunities, as well as plenty of recreational options.
The Dairyland’s economy is run by more than cheese curds, with industry sectors in agriculture, manufacturing and information technology. The state is also home to 8 Fortune 500 companies, including Harley-Davidson, Oshkosh, Kohl’s, Northwestern Mutual and Johnson Controls. Wisconsin is also ranked no. 2 for fostering entrepreneurial growth.
- What is this magical land of cheese, cheap rent and a record number of water slides? It's called Wisconsin.
- Picturesque communities include Madison, La Crosse, Eau Claire
- Communities take action to protect birds, preserve habitat
Read More About Wisconsin
- Every town has a Christmas festival, but not every town has a Charles Dickens-themed street party or a coffin race.
- Need to make some cheddar? Wisconsin should be your next move
- Learn how the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s research and development efforts help create jobs and economic investments throughout the region.
- So much more than a college town, this city's major employers cover everything rom health care to energy
- Find out what Madison WI did to get to the top.
- Largest employers in DeForest provide diverse economy
- Health care, transportation and manufacturing sectors employ the majority of the city's residents
- In La Crosse, you don't have to go very far to enjoy Mother Nature. Just look outside your window and take it all in.
- Jurustic Park in Marshfield, WI is an attraction in the area that features more than 250 iron sculptures on display.
Featured Cities in Wisconsin
Find a City in WisconsinSearch for any city in Wisconsin to find your best place to live..
Quick Facts about WI
|Latest Population Increase||0.00%|
|Median Household Income||$53,357|
|Median Home Price||$165,800|
|Median Property Tax||$1,402|
Employment Rate in WI
Race in WI
Employment Rate in WI
Educational Levels in WI
|Graduate or Professional Degree||9.4%|
|High School Graduate||32%|
|Some College, No Degree||21.1%|
|Percent Bachelor's Degree or Higher||27.8%|
|Percent High School Graduate or Higher||91%|
Industry in WI
|Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting and Mining||2.5%|
|Transportation and Warehousing, and Utilities||4.3%|
|Finance and Insurance, and Real Estate and Rental and Leasing||6.1%|
|Professional, Scientific and Management and Administrative and Waste||8.1%|
|Educational Services and Health Care and Social Assistance||23.3%|
|Arts, Entertainment and recreation and Accommodation and food Services||8.7%|
|Other Services, Except Public Administration||4.2%|
Housing in WI
Data Sources : U.S. Census Bureau, 2010 Census, 2011-2015 American Community Survey, 2010 Census Gazetteer, GreatSchools, WalkScore, Bureau of Labor and Statistics, County Health Rankings & Roadmaps, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service, Veterans Administration (VA), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Best places to Live in Wisconsin
|Title||Population||Median Home Price||Median Household Income|
|Fond du Lac||43,060||$121,700||$46,499|