Discover what makes this thriving small town so special.
Tired of the big city? Looking for a small town to settle down in and raise a family? It may be time to consider this quaint gem in the middle of Iowa. Check out these 10 things you need to know about working and living in Marshalltown.
1. Prepare to Party Like a Centenarian
Incorporated in 1923, Marshalltown celebrates its 100th anniversary as a city in 2023. Let the parties begin!
2. Be in the Middle of It All
Marshalltown is located in the geographical center of Iowa, about halfway between the capital of Des Moines (53 miles away) to its southwest and Cedar Rapids (73 miles) to the east.
3. Get Ready to Exercise
For recreation, there are 24 parks, 8.9 miles of recreational trails, and indoor and outdoor aquatic centers available to residents. Marshalltown also has a skate park, disc golf course, two 18-hole golf courses and a nine-hole course.
4. Reel in Some Fish and Fun at the Lake
A beautiful destination for sun and fun during the warm-weather months is Sand Lake, located on the northeast edge of Marshalltown with opportunities for boating, fishing, picnicking and swimming.
5. Find the Perfect Job in Marshalltown
Major employers in this region are Emerson-Fisher Controls, Hy-Vee, Iowa Veterans Home, JBS Swift, Lennox Industries and Marshalltown Community School District.
6. Open Up a Store Here
The city provides a Retail Incentive Grant that awards up to $25,000 to individuals looking to open up shop here in Marshalltown. The city has also joined the International Council of Shopping Centers to seek innovative ideas to continue boosting the local retail sector.
Did You Know?
The Iowa Veterans Home is located in Marshalltown. It is one of the largest state veterans homes in the nation and can accommodate over 550 Iowa veterans.
7. Score Top-Notch Services in Marshalltown
The Marshalltown YMCA-YWCA is ranked among the best health facilities in the state, while Marshalltown Public Library won a National Medal for Museum and Library Service from the Washington, D.C.-based Institute of Museum and Library Services.
8. Take Great Care of Your Body
UnityPoint Health provides residents with top-notch medical options and facilities, including a new hospital as well as a variety of medical, dental, optical and chiropractic services.
9. Discover Marshalltown’s Hollywood History
Actors Jean Seberg (“Breathless”), Toby Huss (“King of the Hill”) and Mary Beth Hurt (“The Age of Innocence”) are all from Marshalltown, along with “Top Gun Maverick” Director Joseph Kosinski.
10. Fill Your Weekends With Fun
You’ll want to add these six items to your to-do list:
- Marshalltown Speedway: Races run every Friday night from spring to fall on one of the most exciting dirt tracks in the country.
- Live on Stage: See nationally touring acts every season at the beautiful Marshalltown Performing Arts Center.
- Marshalltown Community Theatre: A great group that puts on high-quality performances.
- Live and Local: Attend this concert series at the Grimes Farm Amphitheater. A perfect outdoor setting to take in both nature and great music.
- Historical Society of Marshall County: Tour or rent historical sites such as the Mowry Irvine Mansion, the Binford House and Taylor’s Not. 2 County School.
- Iowa’s Best Burger: Stop by The Flying Elbow in the 13th Street District for Iowa’s Best Burger, as proclaimed by the Iowa Beef Council for 2022.