South Carolina: What you need to know
South Carolina works because it’s a highly desirable place to live. A vibrant arts-and-culture scene loaded with things to do , four distinct seasons and some of the nation’s best beaches and outdoor-recreation opportunities have created a lifestyle that draws and keeps business leaders and talent alike. The state’s subtropical climate allows residents to enjoy outdoor activities throughout most of the year.
The University of South Carolina and Clemson University anchor a standout higher education system. The state is an innovation destination, spawning new companies in such breakthrough fields as information technology, energy and biotechnology. BMW, Boeing and General Electric among the leading companies that have helped South Carolina has fashion a diverse and sophisticated manufacturing sector.
- If outdoor adventure is your #1 priority, these small cities are the perfect home base.
- Tradition, quality workforce and excellent transportation assets attract automakers
- Workforce development programs give South Carolina a competitive advantage
- Learn why there’s a good chance the products that make your life comfortable and convenient were made in South Carolina
- Reason #1: The million-dollar sunsets.
Read More About South Carolina
- Considering a move to Charleston, SC? Here are some good reasons why you should.
- Golf, festivals, beaches and parks make the state a popular destination.
- Farming, forestry, food production are key economic players
- State has five interstates, several railroads and the mighty Port of Charleston
- Talented workforce, favorable business climate give South Carolina’s life sciences industry a boost
- Learn why so many companies choose South Carolina as the place to grow, invest and create jobs
- Entrepreneurs diversify into infotech, energy and biotech
- Discover the most desirable places to put down roots in the Palmetto State
- These 7 beaches will be everything you've ever wanted in a seaside vacation.
Featured Cities in South Carolina
Find a City in South CarolinaSearch for any city in South Carolina to find your best place to live..
South Carolina Profile
Quick Facts about SC
|Latest Population Increase||0.00%|
|Median Household Income||$45,483|
|Median Home Price||$139,900|
|Median Property Tax||$1,183|
Employment Rate in SC
Race in SC
Employment Rate in SC
Educational Levels in SC
|Graduate or Professional Degree||9.3%|
|High School Graduate||29.8%|
|Some College, No Degree||21%|
|Percent Bachelor's Degree or Higher||25.8%|
|Percent High School Graduate or Higher||85.6%|
Industry in SC
|Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting and Mining||1%|
|Transportation and Warehousing, and Utilities||4.6%|
|Finance and Insurance, and Real Estate and Rental and Leasing||5.8%|
|Professional, Scientific and Management and Administrative and Waste||9.6%|
|Educational Services and Health Care and Social Assistance||21.7%|
|Arts, Entertainment and recreation and Accommodation and food Services||10.5%|
|Other Services, Except Public Administration||5%|
Housing in SC
Best places to Live in South Carolina
|Title||Population||Median Home Price||Median Household Income|
|Hilton Head Island||39,071||$434,900||$66,646|