South Carolina: What you need to know
South Carolina works because it’s a highly desirable place to live. A vibrant arts-and-culture scene loaded with things to do , four distinct seasons and some of the nation’s best beaches and outdoor-recreation opportunities have created a lifestyle that draws and keeps business leaders and talent alike. The state’s subtropical climate allows residents to enjoy outdoor activities throughout most of the year.
The University of South Carolina and Clemson University anchor a standout higher education system. The state is an innovation destination, spawning new companies in such breakthrough fields as information technology, energy and biotechnology. BMW, Boeing and General Electric among the leading companies that have helped South Carolina has fashion a diverse and sophisticated manufacturing sector.
- If outdoor adventure is your #1 priority, these small cities are the perfect home base.
- Reason #1: The million-dollar sunsets.
Read More About South Carolina
- From hiking and rafting to beaches and forests, South Carolina offers plenty of outdoor fun.
- The Palmetto State has it all, from arts and entertainment to dining and craft breweries.
- Discover how South Carolina's training programs are strengthening the state's workforce.
- If you are a tech entrepreneur, South Carolina is the perfect place to start your business. See why.
- See why so many companies find South Carolina's logistics industry so appealing.
- See how this cutting-edge industry is helping to drive innovation throughout the state.
- Affordability, unique features and a friendly culture await newcomers to South Carolina.
- Top employers from around the world are choosing South Carolina to expand their businesses.
- Considering a move to Charleston, SC? Here are some good reasons why you should.
Featured Cities in South Carolina
Find a City in South CarolinaSearch for any city in South Carolina to find your best place to live..
South Carolina Profile
Quick Facts about SC
|Latest Population Increase||0.00%|
|Median Household Income||$45,483|
|Median Home Price||$139,900|
|Median Property Tax||$1,183|
Employment Rate in SC
Race in SC
Employment Rate in SC
Educational Levels in SC
|Graduate or Professional Degree||9.3%|
|High School Graduate||29.8%|
|Some College, No Degree||21%|
|Percent Bachelor's Degree or Higher||25.8%|
|Percent High School Graduate or Higher||85.6%|
Industry in SC
|Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting and Mining||1%|
|Transportation and Warehousing, and Utilities||4.6%|
|Finance and Insurance, and Real Estate and Rental and Leasing||5.8%|
|Professional, Scientific and Management and Administrative and Waste||9.6%|
|Educational Services and Health Care and Social Assistance||21.7%|
|Arts, Entertainment and recreation and Accommodation and food Services||10.5%|
|Other Services, Except Public Administration||5%|
Housing in SC
Data Sources : U.S. Census Bureau, 2010 Census, 2011-2015 American Community Survey, 2010 Census Gazetteer, GreatSchools, WalkScore, Bureau of Labor and Statistics, County Health Rankings & Roadmaps, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service, Veterans Administration (VA), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Best places to Live in South Carolina
|Title||Population||Median Home Price||Median Household Income|
|Hilton Head Island||39,071||$434,900||$66,646|