South Carolina : What you need to know
South Carolina works because it’s a highly desirable place to live. A vibrant arts-and-culture scene loaded with things to do , four distinct seasons and some of the nation’s best beaches and outdoor-recreation opportunities have created a lifestyle that draws and keeps business leaders and talent alike. The state’s subtropical climate allows residents to enjoy outdoor activities throughout most of the year.
The University of South Carolina and Clemson University anchor a standout higher education system. The state is an innovation destination, spawning new companies in such breakthrough fields as information technology, energy and biotechnology. BMW, Boeing and General Electric among the leading companies that have helped South Carolina has fashion a diverse and sophisticated manufacturing sector.
- Reason #1: The million-dollar sunsets.
- Discover the most desirable places to put down roots in the Palmetto State
- Our list of the best things to do in South Carolina, including attractions, events and experiences.
Read More About South Carolina
- These 7 beaches will be everything you've ever wanted in a seaside vacation.
- No matter when you're here, there’s a lot more to South Carolina than famous golf courses and pretty beaches.
- Workforce development programs put state on leading edge of training
- Enjoy beaches, plenty of recreation areas and 11,000 miles of rivers, lakes and coastal waters
- South Carolina has golf destinations including Hilton Head Island, Kiawah Island and Myrtle Beach.
- South Carolina offers views, fun and food all wrapped into a diverse setting that makes it a highly desirable place to live.
- Discover how a pro-business climate and enviable quality of life help rural communities grow
- Learn why businesses in sectors as diverse as financial services, automobile manufacturing, food production and others are choosing South Carolina as the place where they invest, grow and create jobs.
- Discover why the Palmetto State was named a national champion for foreign direct investment.
Featured Cities in South Carolina
Find a City in South CarolinaSearch for any city in South Carolina to find your best place to live..
South Carolina Profile
Quick Facts about SC
|Latest Population Increase||0.00%|
|Median Household Income||$45,483|
|Median Home Price||$139,900|
|Median Property Tax||$1,183|
Employment Rate in SC
Race in SC
Employment Rate in SC
Educational Levels in SC
|Graduate or Professional Degree||9.3%|
|High School Graduate||29.8%|
|Some College, No Degree||21%|
|Percent Bachelor's Degree or Higher||25.8%|
|Percent High School Graduate or Higher||85.6%|
Industry in SC
|Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting and Mining||1%|
|Transportation and Warehousing, and Utilities||4.6%|
|Finance and Insurance, and Real Estate and Rental and Leasing||5.8%|
|Professional, Scientific and Management and Administrative and Waste||9.6%|
|Educational Services and Health Care and Social Assistance||21.7%|
|Arts, Entertainment and recreation and Accommodation and food Services||10.5%|
|Other Services, Except Public Administration||5%|
Housing in SC
Data Sources : U.S. Census Bureau, 2010 Census, 2011-2015 American Community Survey, 2010 Census Gazetteer, GreatSchools, WalkScore, Bureau of Labor and Statistics, County Health Rankings & Roadmaps, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service, Veterans Administration (VA), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Best places to Live in South Carolina
|Title||Population||Median Home Price||Median Household Income|
|Hilton Head Island||39,071||$434,900||$66,646|