Iowa : What you need to know
Ranked among the safest states to live, Iowa also enjoys lofty ratings for attracting business thanks to low taxes and utility costs. Its diverse economy is led by agriculture, manufacturing, biotechnology, finance, insurance and government services. The capital and largest city is Des Moines, and other best places to live in Iowa are Cedar Rapids, West Des Moines, Ames, Marion, Waterloo, Sioux City and Iowa City. Top universities include Iowa, Iowa State and Northern Iowa.
- Young people are falling in love with Des Moines. Once you see why, you might want to join them.
- Tour the Capitol Building, ride The Monster, and much more.
- List includes Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Cedar Falls
Read More About Iowa
- Cheese curds, lakes, beer, quality education, four seasons: There's a lot to love about being in the Midwest.
- Current list includes Rockwell Collins and two hospitals
- Attractions include ISU events, five golf courses, Main Street District
- Businesses in Cedar Rapids range from food makers to aviation system providers
- Iowa State, hospital, Hy-Vee are major economic leaders
- The city’s major employers are a mix of corporate headquarters and health care in addition to education.
- A college-town atmosphere with big-city cultural events gives locals plenty of fun things to do.
Featured Cities in Iowa
Find a City in IowaSearch for any city in Iowa to find your best place to live..
Quick Facts about IA
|Latest Population Increase||0.00%|
|Median Household Income||$53,183|
|Median Home Price||$129,200|
|Median Property Tax||$1,171|
Employment Rate in IA
Race in IA
Employment Rate in IA
Educational Levels in IA
|Graduate or Professional Degree||8.5%|
|High School Graduate||32.2%|
|Some College, No Degree||21.5%|
|Percent Bachelor's Degree or Higher||26.7%|
|Percent High School Graduate or Higher||91.5%|
Industry in IA
|Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting and Mining||3.9%|
|Transportation and Warehousing, and Utilities||4.6%|
|Finance and Insurance, and Real Estate and Rental and Leasing||7.4%|
|Professional, Scientific and Management and Administrative and Waste||7.2%|
|Educational Services and Health Care and Social Assistance||24.3%|
|Arts, Entertainment and recreation and Accommodation and food Services||7.5%|
|Other Services, Except Public Administration||4.2%|
Housing in IA
Data Sources : U.S. Census Bureau, 2010 Census, 2011-2015 American Community Survey, 2010 Census Gazetteer, GreatSchools, WalkScore, Bureau of Labor and Statistics, County Health Rankings & Roadmaps, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service, Veterans Administration (VA), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Best places to Live in Iowa
|Title||Population||Median Home Price||Median Household Income|
|West Des Moines||61,266||$188,600||$71,200|