Illinois: What you need to know
Chicago is a global business destination, drawing people from all over the world to live, work and visit.
With its 24-hour vibe, Chicago remains famous for its fabulous museums, deep-dish pizza and 5,000 restaurants offering every style of cuisine, and it is home to, whoda thunk it, the World Series Champion Chicago Cubs.
While the City of Broad Shoulders captures deserved attention, Illinois offers standout communities in every corner of the state. The Land of Lincoln lays claim to dozens of cities with revitalized downtowns, excellent entertainment venues, great schools and plentiful outdoor recreation opportunities. Best places to live in Illinois include Aurora, Rockford, Joliet, Naperville and Springfield.
A diverse $784 billion economy includes major industry sectors in biotechnology, advanced manufacturing, agribusiness and food production, energy and logistics. Illinois hosts a roster of brands known round the world, among them Boeing, McDonald’s, Allstate, Caterpillar, John Deere and Archer Daniels Midland.
Illinois' innovation ecosystem includes 440 corporate R&D facilities, 144 research centers and 71 federal labs, including Argonne National Laboratory and Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory.
Universities in the state are on the leading edge of research and several of them, including the University of Illinois-Champaign Urbana and Northwestern Universit, are among the only 108 institutions nationally classified as “Very High Research Activity” on the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
- From urban paradises to the mighty Mississippi and Route 66, Illinois offers something for everyone.
- Discover how research assets such as the Argonne National Laboratory are fueling innovation in clean energy in Illinois
- Discover Illinois' major industries in business, manufacturing and more
- Popular spots include Springfield, Naperville, Carbondale
Read More About Illinois
- Cheese curds, lakes, beer, quality education, four seasons: There's a lot to love about being in the Midwest.
- We get it. Sometimes you need a trip but all you have is a day. We've got you covered.
- Learn why so many of the products we rely on, from airplanes to vacuum cleaners, are made by companies headquartered in Illinois.
- High-paying jobs, Riverwalk, good nightlife are among many reasons.
- Buckle up and wear your stretchy pants--we're taking you on one epic food journey.
- Illinois is a state known for its skyscrapers, but it’s also home to some of the most charming towns.
- Learn why the manufacturers that make the products that enhance our lives are making Illinois their business address of choice.
- Illinois has long been a center for research and technological development.
- Learn how companies like Deere, Caterpillar and Archer Daniels Midland make Illinois agriculture a world leader
Featured Cities in Illinois
Find a City in IllinoisSearch for any city in Illinois to find your best place to live..
Quick Facts about IL
|Latest Population Increase||0.00%|
|Median Household Income||$57,574|
|Median Home Price||$173,800|
|Median Property Tax||$1,636|
Employment Rate in IL
Race in IL
Employment Rate in IL
Educational Levels in IL
|Graduate or Professional Degree||12.4%|
|High School Graduate||26.8%|
|Some College, No Degree||21.1%|
|Percent Bachelor's Degree or Higher||32.3%|
|Percent High School Graduate or Higher||87.9%|
Industry in IL
|Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting and Mining||1.1%|
|Transportation and Warehousing, and Utilities||5.9%|
|Finance and Insurance, and Real Estate and Rental and Leasing||7.3%|
|Professional, Scientific and Management and Administrative and Waste||11.4%|
|Educational Services and Health Care and Social Assistance||23%|
|Arts, Entertainment and recreation and Accommodation and food Services||9.1%|
|Other Services, Except Public Administration||4.7%|
Housing in IL
Best places to Live in Illinois
|Title||Population||Median Home Price||Median Household Income|