Michigan: What you need to know
More than half of Michigan is covered by forests making the state fertile ground for hunting and nature enthusiasts. The state’s craft beer scene also draws tourists, while its charming cities lure many new residents. The best places to live in Michigan include Traverse City, Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids. Automakers Ford and GM lead the top employers in Michigan, but the state is home to thriving industries like aerospace and military equipment manufacturing, copper and ore mining, tourism and Christmas tree farming.
- Pair plentiful outdoor activities, job opportunities and affordability with a welcoming vibe, and it’s no wonder Michigan is a draw for families.
- The Wolverine State delivers on budget-conscious living without skimping on the amenities
Read More About Michigan
- Port of Muskegon and marinas serve numerous industries including tourism, agriculture, fishing and manufacturing
- Community Foundation for Muskegon County unites people for good
- America's wine industry is thriving — in places you might not expect.
- Home to the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor leverages a wealth of capabilities to create a diverse and dynamic economy
- Ann Arbor's powerhouse research capabilities stimulate life sciences breakthroughs
- Ann Arbor's tech sector includes Thomson Reuters, Truven Health Analytics, Nokia and Google
- American Center for Mobility, Mcity Serve As Catalysts for Research Advancements
- Manufacturers, healthcare providers, U of M rank high on the list.
Featured Cities in Michigan
Find a City in MichiganSearch for any city in Michigan to find your best place to live..
Quick Facts about MI
|Latest Population Increase||0.00%|
|Median Household Income||$49,576|
|Median Home Price||$122,400|
|Median Property Tax||$1,257|
Employment Rate in MI
Race in MI
Employment Rate in MI
Educational Levels in MI
|Graduate or Professional Degree||10.5%|
|High School Graduate||29.9%|
|Some College, No Degree||23.8%|
|Percent Bachelor's Degree or Higher||26.9%|
|Percent High School Graduate or Higher||89.6%|
Industry in MI
|Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting and Mining||1.3%|
|Transportation and Warehousing, and Utilities||4.2%|
|Finance and Insurance, and Real Estate and Rental and Leasing||5.4%|
|Professional, Scientific and Management and Administrative and Waste||9.3%|
|Educational Services and Health Care and Social Assistance||23.9%|
|Arts, Entertainment and recreation and Accommodation and food Services||9.5%|
|Other Services, Except Public Administration||4.7%|
Housing in MI
Best places to Live in Michigan
|Title||Population||Median Home Price||Median Household Income|
|St. Clair Shores||59,888||$95,000||$53,093|