Tennessee : What you need to know
From the Great Smoky Mountains to the Mississippi River, Tennessee stands out as a center of culture, entertainment, natural beauty and innovation. The Volunteer State's musical heritage stretches from Beale Street in Memphis to the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville and made it a natural location for companies such as fabled instrument maker Gibson. These sites and sounds are only a few of the reason millions of people also choose Tennessee as a vacation destination. The best places to live in Tennessee include Franklin, which ranked No. 15 on Livability.com's 2017 List.
Eight Fortune 500 companies are based in Tennessee, including global logistics giant FedEx. Nashville is a hub of health care, home to more than 300 health-related companies. Tennessee is in the heart of the Southeast's Automotive Alley, where more than 900 automotive manufacturing operations are based, including major assembly operations for Nissan and General Motors.
The University of Tennessee, with its flagship campus in Knoxville, anchors the state's vast higher education system. Vanderbilt University in Nashville one of the nation's top research universities.
- Good schools, a thriving job market and plenty of recreational opportunities are just a few reasons to call Tennessee home.
- The Volunteer State's array of outdoor amenities and attractions adds to its appeal
- Tennessee's appeal for entrepreneurial talent makes it an innovation destination
- Or, how you get the most bang for your Tennessee buck
- Spend a fun-filled weekend in the Volunteer State.
- "We really don't need much to be happy and live a beautiful life."
Read More About Tennessee
- Think you have to go to New Zealand to immerse yourself in Lord of the Rings scenery? Think again.
- Nashville isn't just a great place to spot famous musicians, you can also dine at their fabulous restaurants.
- Discover attractions, events and experiences in Tennessee with this list of the best things to do in the Volunteer State.
- Under Gov. Bill Haslam, Tennessee experiences record growth and prosperity
- International companies feel right at home in Tennessee
- State's workforce programs and private-public partnerships stock Tennessee's talent pipeline
- Tennessee’s rural development programs ensure the state’s economic prosperity is shared by all
- Tennessee's entertainment industry broadens focus with expanded emphasis on digital
- Tennessee's life sciences industry delivers an impact felt around the world
Featured Cities in Tennessee
Find a City in TennesseeSearch for any city in Tennessee to find your best place to live..
Quick Facts about TN
|Latest Population Increase||0.00%|
|Median Household Income||$45,219|
|Median Home Price||$142,100|
|Median Property Tax||$1,181|
Employment Rate in TN
Race in TN
Employment Rate in TN
Educational Levels in TN
|Graduate or Professional Degree||9%|
|High School Graduate||33%|
|Some College, No Degree||21%|
|Percent Bachelor's Degree or Higher||24.9%|
|Percent High School Graduate or Higher||85.5%|
Industry in TN
|Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting and Mining||1%|
|Transportation and Warehousing, and Utilities||6.3%|
|Finance and Insurance, and Real Estate and Rental and Leasing||5.7%|
|Professional, Scientific and Management and Administrative and Waste||9.4%|
|Educational Services and Health Care and Social Assistance||22.8%|
|Arts, Entertainment and recreation and Accommodation and food Services||9.3%|
|Other Services, Except Public Administration||4.9%|
Housing in TN
Best places to Live in Tennessee
|Title||Population||Median Home Price||Median Household Income|